Guidelines for Proposal Submission to CFSI
For producing Children's Content
(Features/ Shorts/ Live Action/ Animation/ Television Serial/ Documentary)
Feature film (Animation/Live Action) should be 60 to 90 minutes
Short film (Animation/Live Action) should not exceed 30 minutes
TV Serial (Animation/Live Action) should have 26 episodes and each episode should be 23 minutes
Content of film/TV serial can be in any of the 23 Indian languages recognized by GOI
Features/ Shorts: Celluloid- Colour- 35mm/Super16mm; Digital -2K, 4K;
T.V Serial: Digital Beta/DVCam/DVCPRO-50 of Broadcast quality
Source can be film or video in broadcast quality but final deliverable must be in 35 mm (print & negative).
For practical purpose, all proposals should be submitted in Hindi or English only.
The proposal must be approved at various stages before final sanction of the project.
STAGE 1 (Synopsis Submission by applicant)
CFSI accepts applications throughout the year. There is no deadline for Synopsis Submission.
1. CFSI accepts application only from Director/ Executive Producer of the proposed film / serial. Director of the film is treated as its Executive Producer. In case the proposal is being submitted by Executive Producer (other than EP), it is essential to get a Confirmation Letter from the proposed Director that he/she intends to direct the proposed film.
2. Proposal should be submitted with the following essentials:-
- Form-I (Five Copies)
- Synopsis and Treatment Note (Five Copies)
For Live Action Feature/ short: Synopsis with Treatment Note, five pages in Hindi /English;
For Television Serial of minimum 26 episodes: Synopsis & Treatment Note of entire serial in 5 pages strictly & detailed synopsis of first two episodes in one page each;
For Animation Feature/Short: Synopsis with Treatment note, five pages in Hindi/English along with stills of proposed visual style, sketches of main characters
- Director's Bio-data (Five Copies)
- Synopsis Registration (One Copy)
Synopsis must be registered with concerned Film & TV Associations
- NOC and Agreement with Author/ Publisher
If the concept/story/synopsis/theme/ idea is adopted from any Published/Unpublished Book
- Show-reel of previous work of Director (One DVD copy)
You are advised to submit previous fiction work executed by you, if submitting proposal for live action; Previous animation work executed by you, if submitting proposal for animation.
- Processing Fee (Demand Draft of Rs. 3000/- in favor of Children's Film Society, India)
The processing fee is Non-Refundable.
STAGE 2 (Script & Budget Submission)
Synopsis is usually evaluated by CFSI Script Committee within 6 weeks of submission. If and Only if the Script Committee approves the synopsis, applicants are asked to submit a Script and Budget for the proposed film within 60 days of approval.
- Submission of Screenplay in Hindi/English (Five Copies)
- Submission of Story Board sketches (rough) along with script in case of animation (Five Copies)
- Submission of Main Cast and Crew names (Five Copies)
- Submission of Detailed Budget with break-up (Five Copies)
STAGE 3 (Interaction with Director)
If and only if CFSI Script Committee approves the script and the budget reviewed and approved by CFSI Assessment Committee, the director is called for personal interaction with Script Committee. The Script Committee evaluates the director's capacity to execute the film according to the vision of the script. After approval of the script, the budget and the Director, the proposal is sent to CFSI Executive Council for final sanction. Final approval of the Proposal is vested with the Executive Council.
Decision of CFSI will be final and binding. Once the Proposal is rejected (at any of these stages) no further discussion or correspondence will be entertained. A rejected proposal cannot be re-submitted again.
Please note that CFSI is a national organization receiving applications from film-makers across the country. As in other competitive processes, only a limited number of proposals get final sanction.
SIGNING OF FINAL AGREEMENT
CFSI will sign agreement only with Director of film. As Commissioning Authority of film/TV serial that CFSI funds, CFSI will be deemed as 'PRODUCER'. All rights of the said film/ TV Serial commissioned by CFSI will be vested with 'PRODUCER'.
After signing the agreement CFSI will provide sanctioned amount to the Director only after Director provides 20% Bank Guarantee.
- Amount 1: 20% of the Contract amount against submission of Bank Guarantee (amounting to 20% of the total budget).
- Amount 2: 30% of the contract amount against pre-production work viz: actual commencement of shooting, advances/signing amount to the various parties/crew members, if required.
- Amount 3: 30% of the Contract amount on approval of Rough-cut and hypothecation of entire material in the prescribed "Form" to the CEO, CFSI and after insuring all film/video materials against all risks including that of fire & theft at his/her own cost and producing letter from an accredited Film Laboratory & Studio that the material is kept in their safe custody on behalf of the CFSI till the film is completed and all the material is handed over to the CFSI.
- Amount 4: The balance 20% after delivery of the film duly certification and acceptance of the entire materials mentioned in list of deliverables.
Please note that CFSI will retain the right to stop payment towards the project if the rough cut does not meet the satisfaction and approval of CFSI Script Committee.
* List of materials to be delivered to C.E.O., CFSI on completion of film duly certified by CBFC, Mumbai:
- Final 35mm color corrected release print made on Kodak/Fuji Color positive stock duly attached Censor Certificate
- Final Kodak/Fuji color picture negative in 35mm duly Censor Certificate attached with Lab. Grading Cards/tapes.
- Final mixed sound in optical (Sound Stock. – 35mm Kodak).
- MOD of the entire Sound Tracks, if sound in DOLBY DIGITAL.
- DVD in WAV Form files of Final mixed sound.
- If the titles are 'superimposed', the uncompressed TIF titles of entire title seq.
- International tracks in WAV Form Files – DVD with video (Reel wise) recorded @ 24f.p.s should duly synchronized with picture.
- If Songs, International Tracks and effects on separate DVD WAV Form Files with video as per type of Sound.
- One each color corrected Masters - PAL & NTSC Format – Digital Beta , Two DVDs – one with water mark as "CFSI PREVIEW COPY" in DVD -5 format & the other in DVD -9 format, Beta cam SP, VCD of the Film duly transferred from Final Picture negatives & Sound- transferred from WAV files duly incorporating the CFSI logo and Censor Certificate.
- One Master Digital Beta duly English Video subtitled along with DVD, VCD in PAL & NTSC 4.3
- One Promo up to 40 seconds duly 'Censor Certificate' attached in Digi Beta – PAL cassettes as well as in VCD & DVD format.
- Trailer of minimum 1 min.20 sec. of the film in 35mm Color release Print as well as Digi Beta cassette, VCD, DVD of the same with Censor Certificate attached along with 35 mm Final Pic. Neg. & Sound Neg.& Lab. Grading cards/tapes.
- DVDs of Audio as well as Video of all Songs only, if applicable.
- Publicity materials : One-DVD of consist of Promo, Trailer, Synopsis brief & upto 100 words, Director's, Technicians' brief bio-data with one photograph of each & 20 stills in 300 DPI Color on DVD in JPEG format relevant to the Scenes of the film with respective quality prints in colorsize 8" x 10" for Film promotional purpose.
- Final Censor Script, Credit Titles, Synopsis, Song's lyrics with footage marked as specified by the CBFC in 8 copies. (One copy should be Well bound & 7 spiral bound)As we as in DVD word Format.
- English translation of the dialogue sheet (spotting sheet) for preparation of the subtitled version as required by N.F.D.C. (if the film is in English – not required) on CD – Word format with hard copy on paper.
All DVDs should be scratch-proof